LITTLE ROCK — The placement of intravenous lines in one of the two men Arkansas executed Monday night took 40 minutes, according to a log released Tuesday by the state Department of Correction.

Meanwhile, lawyers for Kenneth Williams, who is scheduled to be put to death Thursday, have filed new motions in state and federal courts seeking to stay his execution.

In back-to-back executions, the state put to death Jack Harold Jones and Marcel Wayne Williams on Thursday night. Each man was administered a lethal three-drug cocktail via IV.

The Department of Correction’s log of Marcel William’s execution shows that the process of placing intravenous lines in Williams lasted from 9:35 p.m. to 10:15 p.m.

That is five times longer than the process of placing IV lines in Jones, which lasted from 6:51 p.m. to 6:59 p.m., or eight minutes, according to the log of that execution.

Monday’s executions followed the execution of Ledell Lee on Thursday. The log of that execution shows that prison workers took 12 minutes — from 11:27 p.m. to to 11:39 p.m. — to place IV lines in Lee.

Department of Correction spokesman Solomon Graves said Tuesday he could not immediately provide an answer when asked why the process of placing IV lines in Marcel Williams took 40 minutes.

Williams was morbidly obese, according to his attorneys. Attorneys for Williams and Jones asked U.S. District Judge Kristine Baker last week to change the execution viewing rules so they could observe the placement of IV lines in the men, in case anything went wrong, but Baker denied the request, saying the parties had already agreed on the viewing rules and that nothing had changed to merit revisiting them. No witnesses were allowed to view the placement of the IV lines.

Williams, 46, was executed for the 1994 slaying of 22-year-old Stacy Errickson of Jacksonville, whom he abducted from a gas station and forced to drive to several ATMs and withdraw a total of $350 before raping her, strangling her and burying her in a shallow grave.

Jones, 52, was executed for the 1995 killing of Mary Phillips, 34, of Bald Knob, whom he beat, robbed, raped and strangled at a Bald Knob accounting office. He also beat and left for dead her daughter, Lacey, then 11 years old, but she survived.

Gov. Asa Hutchinson initially scheduled eight executions over an 11-day span this month, seeking to make use of a key drug before it expires at the end of April. Three executions scheduled for last week have been stayed by courts and will not happen this month. The execution of Jason McGehee, scheduled for Thursday of this week, also has been stayed, and the state has not sought to lift the stay.

That leaves one remaining scheduled execution, that of Kenneth Williams, who is set to be put to death at 7 p.m. Thursday.

Williams, 38, was serving a life sentence for the 1998 killing of University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff cheerleader Dominique Hurd when he escaped from the Cummins Unit in Lincoln County in 1999.

He shot and killed Cecil Boren, 57, at Boren’s nearby home, stole Boren’s truck and was captured after a high-speed chase in Missouri during which he crashed into a vehicle and killed the driver, Michael Greenwood, 24, of Springfield, Mo.

Williams is scheduled to die for Boren’s killing. He also is serving three sentences of life without parole, one for aggravated robbery and two for capital murder.

On Monday night, lawyers for Williams filed a motion with the Arkansas Supreme Court seeking a stay of his execution. They argued in the motion that the jury at his trail failed to consider mitigating evidence including childhood domestic abuse and limited intellectual function.

The state had not filed a response by Tuesday afternoon.

On Tuesday, lawyers for Williams filed a separate motion in U.S. District Court in Pine Bluff seeking a stay of his execution. They argued in the motion that significant juror misconduct occurred at his trial, including statements that a juror made to others on the jury about her experiences working at the prison from which Williams escaped and the prison where he was held during his trial.

Attorney General Leslie Rutledge said in a response that the issue could have been raised sooner but is being raised now as “part of a calculated barrage of litigation in state and federal court.”